“Such are the perfections of fiction...Everything it teaches is useless insofar as structuring your life: you can’t prop up anything with fiction. It, in fact, teaches you just that. That in order to attempt to employ its specific wisdom is a sign of madness...There is more profit in an hour’s talk with Billy Graham than in a reading of Joyce. Graham might conceivably make you sick, so that you might move, go somewhere to get well. But Joyce just sends you out into the street, where the world goes on, solid as a bus. If you met Joyce and said 'Help me,' he’d hand you a copy of Finnegans Wake. You could both cry.” – Gilbert Sorrentino, Imaginative Qualities of Actual Things


Monday, October 18, 2010

Book Launch of Wayne Macauley's Other Stories, etc.

  • In September, I gave a glowing review to Wayne Macauley's new collection of fiction, Other Stories. As a result, I've now been given the honour of launching his book on Tuesday, October 26th at 6.30 p.m. at the North Fitzroy Arms. Come along!
  • Ryan Paine has done a sort of book review by synecdoche, reviewing one of my stories as a way of reviewing the whole collection (I like this technique, but would like to push it to the extreme, i.e. reviewing a book by reviewing one page, one paragraph, one sentence, even one word...). But yeah, it is a review, written in review form, that reviews a story from my book in the review-like manner that reviews have. Things are said, judgments are made and whatnot and whatnot, etc.
  • As those of you that read this blog know (yes, I'm speaking to both of you), I've been engaged in a pseudo-dialogue with some of the editorial staff at Overland on the relationship between politics, the social and fiction. Well, over the weekend that dialogue resumed in the comments section of my previous post entitled 'Commenting on Overland's Comments on My Comments on Overland', which I suppose means that I'm now commenting on Overland's comments on my post 'Commenting on Overland's Comments on My Comments on Overland', which is perhaps confusing for those who, like me, are easily confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment